Help with install of 10.4 community edition appreciated

Operating as a hobbyist these days - was interested in upgrading from Community Edition 10.3 to the recently released 10.4 community edition

Install is in a windows 10 VM. It looked like it was possible to install 10.4 into the same machine as 10.3 so that’s what I did.

The install went fine and I migrated settings from 10.3 at the end.

But 10.4 wont start afterwards - it looks like some kind of path issue (dialog image embedded I hope) in that 10.4 appears to be looking in the correct place but for 10.3 bpl’s. All paths used are the default options. Uninstall of 10.4 and reinstall leads to the same error. Happy to uninstall 10.3 if required but that seems a pity.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Graham

Somehow it seems your 10.4 instance is looking for a 10.3 file.

Check these registry locations and make sure they refer to the GetIt270.bpl file rather than the GetIt260.bpl file.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero\BDS\21.0\Known IDE Packages
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Embarcadero\BDS\21.0\Known IDE Packages

I’d also be on the lookout for any other references within those registry keys to 260 files. They very likely will need to be changed to 270.

1 Like

I think the settings migration is quite broken, looks like it transferred packages too?

Thanks Lachlan and Vincent,

The HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero\BDS\21.0\Known IDE Packagesregistry entries are all doubled up (versions 260 and 270 for each package).

So yes, it looks like migration was a bit too enthusiastic!

Reinstall without migration seems to have fixed things.

Thanks for the help.

Graham