Microsoft Open XML SDK with "Direct Office"

Hi, at the moment we are creating reports with the Open Office XML (.odt) which works really good.
But now we need to include SVG files into the reports which causes lots of trouble.
So I need to consider the painful step to use the Microsoft Open XML SDK. It looks like the generated Word docx can include the SVG files with the correct layout.
To support us we consider using the DirectOffice library from here: Direct Office
But there are not many examples available for it to make the start easier for us.
Does anybody has experience with that library or can point us to some more info / tutorials on how to use it?
Thanks

I haven’t used it, but a quick look shows it’s a com dll and no source provided - that’s usually a red flag for me.

Also the demo download includes an OpenXML SDK license file, which suggests it’s a wrapper over microsoft’s existing api - Welcome to the Open XML SDK 2.5 for Office | Microsoft Docs - so not sure how much more that provides?

When I look at the dll in ILSpy it appears to me like they just packaged up the OpenXML SDK as a com library - which is rather iffy. I hope I’m wrong about this.

1 Like

Hi!

WinSoft is known for packaging existing things into a more easily usable format for Delphi developers. That’s where their value really lies.

I have used many of their components and I find that is usually very much the case: they take out all of the grunt work so that you can focus on the important stuff.
Is that worth paying for? That’s a difficult call to make: to my mind, it definitely is, but your mileage may vary.

1 Like