Old Topics Flagged as "New"

I am trying to adjust my setting but with no traffic I am having difficulty seeing any results.

I have noticed however that when I use the search facility on the list archive I get a new topic notification when I log in next time.

I assume its the “Automatically track topics I enter” setting

Maybe I should set it to Never

AFAIK Automatically tracks should give a notification of a new post in a topic. I don’t understand why searching would make a difference. I will have a look.

Yes, that’s the one causing the tracking - I have changed the default to 10 minutes - but if you have already changed it that should still stick - best to check.

Thanks Vincent

The question was mostly to see how the list worked.

I am not in mailing list mode but I get emails when people reply to my posts?

“Send me an email when someone quotes me, replies to my post, mentions my @username, or invites me to a topic”

And I can reply by email - cool.

I expect to not get emails when others post a topic or reply to some topic I am not part of but I will get a daily summary.

Hi Roger,

Yes, that’s pretty much how it works. I’m in maling list mode right now (for testing), however once we go live I will turn that off since I plan to use the forum as a forum. The good thing about discourse is how many options you have control the level of notifications etc. I suspect most people will tweak it to their needs over the first few weeks.

I’m not sure about the 10 minutes. I think I dropped it to 5 when I was looking at new topics where you would typically spend a much shorter time looking at them when there were not many posts.

Ok I dropped it back to 5. It doesn’t matter really for the old posts, as they are all closed and people can’t reply to them.