RAD Studio 11.3 Released

Release Notes

https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Alexandria/en/Release_Notes

Docs

https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Alexandria/en/11_Alexandria_-_Release_3

Avoid using the migration tool for migrate your settings for this release, it completely breaks things

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-40638

I can’t get any of the GetIt packages to install, but I’m guessing that’s an overloaded server issue right now.

I see people on delphi praxis forums complaining of the same thing. I guess everyone is installing at the moment.

11.3 Release webinar Q&A

Questions

Q:
I am very happy that several issues that I had announced have been fixed in this version. I hope the rest of the issues related to 3D will be resolved soon.
A:
Some of those are planned

12:07 AM
Q:
Very excited about version 11.3. is there AI built in?
A:
Nope, some work in that space is under consideration - MC

12:08 AM
Q:
so an obvious (and recurring?) question is: when Visual Assist X for RAD studio?
A:
We are working on this - MC

12:09 AM
Q:
Greetings from the Czech republic and from Torry’s Delphi pages!
A:
Nice to hear from you, thanks for your work on that site

12:09 AM
Q:
Can 11.3 be installed over 11.2
A:
11.3 replaces 11.2 when installed.

12:12 AM
Q:
installing 11.3 over 11.1 will delete all settings and components installed? if yes, how can be this avoided?
A:
No, you can maintain your configurations and packages. For GetIt packages see also https://blogs.embarcadero.com/streamlining-rad-studio-upgrades-with-getit/

12:13 AM
Q:
Is the IDE finally a 64-bit Application?
A:
No, it is not. It is a direction we want to go - MC

12:14 AM
Q:
when is embarcadero dephi going to allow applications to use unlimited memory in their applications limited only by the maximum memory of the machine and not limited to 2GB or possibly 4G limitation
A:
You can today with 64-bit apps - that gives a 64-bit address space

Q:
I have not been able to find a download link for 11.3. Can you please provide it?
A:
For active customers, https://my.embarcadero.com, for tohers the trial is on https://www.embarcdero.com - MC

Q:
I bought a new MacMini 2023 and want to install delphi. What do you prefer VMware Fusion or Parallels?
A:
Either should work (although not officially supported)

12:15 AM
Q:
Clang has ran up to version 15.0 now, is there an ongoing effort to upgrade either bcc32c and/or bcc64?
A:
We haven’t announced anything publicly, so I can’t answer, but the C++ team is definitely working on something big :slight_smile: Stay tuned!

12:15 AM
Q:
there are many sectors where Delphi is present … is it possible to have references with the names ? Thank you
A:
We cannot always share customer details – feel free to reach out directly to us for more information - Marco

12:16 AM
Q:
when will be support for android 64 in c++ builder?
A:
We have no date planned, sorry

Q:
Do you have any slides or info pack about all the places Delphi is used. It would be helpful.
A:
There is only limited information we can sahre from our customers, we are trying to offer more - MC

Q:
Will RAD Studio 11.3 work with BPLs (installed packages) that were built with verison 11.2 or will the BPLs need to be rebuilt within 11.3?
A:
Yes, 11.3 is binary compatible with 11.x series

Q:
Will RAD Studio 11.3 work with BPLs (installed packages) that were built with verison 11.2 or will the BPLs need to be rebuilt within 11.3?
A:
It should, in general all point releases are binary compatible. We have a possible bug report here for C++ Win64 though

12:17 AM
Q:
Styling in the Designer for me is the most important new feature.
A:
Glad you like it! It supports multiple styles at once too, the same way apps do

Q:
can you make an .md file within RAD studio yet? or do you still have to add exisiting?
A:
Yes you can in 11.3 :slight_smile:

Q:
in reply to the memory limitation question I have a 64 bit application and 512GB of memory and yet I still get out of memory when trying to compile large arrays.
A:
The compiler itself is not 64bit, this is something we plan to address - MC

12:18 AM
Q:
Delphi Language Improvements have been on the roadmap for years now, but hardly anything has happened. As this is a revision update, I expect there are no new language features this time either?
A:
No new langauge features in udpates, because we need to maintain binary DCU compatibility - MC

12:18 AM
Q:
I still need to use the DPI-Unaware version of the IDE as the designer still shows forms tiny. Perhaps I am mis-understanding.
A:
It’s not as simple as we’d like and we are researching how to improve. But the main thing is to experiment with the Options > Form Designer > DPI setting, to design at Automatic (your screen) or a specific DPI. Make a backup first because scaling does change the form

12:19 AM
Q:
This apresentation will be record in youtube Embarcadero channel ?
A:
The recording will be shared - MC

12:19 AM
Q:
Does the new open tools api code intercept feature reach to the cpu view too?
A:
No, the CPU view is a separate view / tech. But it’s a cool idea. What would you like to do there?

12:20 AM
Q:
Is there LLDB support for Delphi on Windows?
A:
Not at this time, but there is on all other platforms. We plan to extend LLDB to all plaftorms in the future - MC

Q:
Any issues if I want to keep 10.4 on my computer but also have 11.3 so that I can check it out?
A:
10.4 and 11.3 can coexist on the same computer - MC

Q:
I imagine everyone, like myself who started using CBuilder from day one have legacy code that needs to be maintained. Modern C++ features being absent from the classic compiler does create a lot of problems. Will this ever be looked at?
A:
The path is to move from classic to clang. Often, modern C++ features cannot be added to the classic compiler. We’ve done a lot of work on compatibility to help the upgrade, especially with RTL methods

Q:
Does LSP now scale well with LARGE code files?
A:
We think it works better and beta testers agreed on this - MC

Q:
Hi. A lot of showcases and uses cases are available on blog platform at https://blogs.embarcadero.com/category/showcase/
A:
Good point!

Q:
Is Embarcadero no longer making the RoadMap available in pdf?
A:
True, we don’t share an official roadmap

12:21 AM
Q:
Can we now use IBLIte or IBTogo with the iOS simulators?
A:
No, this is still not working, unfortunately. - MC

12:21 AM
Q:
How can I put my component in getit?
A:
There is an online form, send an email to me (Marco) or Jim… - MC

12:22 AM
Q:
Follow up: “Is there LLDB support for Delphi on Windows?” Is there a timeframe for this?
A:
Nothing we can publicly announce sorry - MC

12:22 AM
Q:
appreciate updating Zlib on RTL. is there a plan to make it drop is replacable by us without depending on Embarc?
A:
This is being discussed for the future, but not certain we’ll get to it - MC

12:23 AM
Q:
Is it possible to compile for Linux running on the Ampere Altra ARM processor?
A:
Not at this time - MC

12:23 AM
Q:
an article on how to create a .sys file on windows using delphi would be a good help
A:
Good idea - MC

12:24 AM
Q:
Follow up: “Is there LLDB support for Delphi on Windows?” Is there a timeframe for this?
A:
We’re moving to LLDB for other platforms first, to make sure it works smoothly. No timeframe we can announce for LLDB for Delphi but it’s definitely the direction we’re heading in, if that helps :slight_smile: It would most likely be Delphi Win64 first with Delphi Win32 the very last

12:24 AM
Q:
How can I put my component in getit?
A:

12:25 AM
Q:
What’s the reason for no roadmap? How can we invest in something we don’t know the future ambitions for?
A:
There is no public roadmap, but there is a roadmap. Customers are encouraged to reach out to PMs and we can arrage a meeting to presend roadmaps and listen to your requests - MC

12:25 AM
Q:
It seems major versions are low-priority now. The 11.X is the longest time on the same “major” version in modern times, but only minor (quality) updates. Have you reduced the development pace and ambition on new functionality? What to expect going forward? Other tools continue to evolve.
A:
We have some very big features coming in the next major release, taking time to build, so we extended the 11.x life with another update making it last a bit more than usual - MC

12:26 AM
Q:
how can i force the ELC server to download 11.3?
A:
Not certain, that might take some time to refresh. Please contact Embarcadero support about this - MC

12:28 AM
Q:
Delphi CE will be updated to 11.3 too?
A:
Nothing to announce yet, but we do want to update it…

Q:
Hello once more, there was an issue with missing splash screen in FMX apps for Android 12 and above. Does 11.3 resolve this please?
A:
I’d have to check it, was this reported in Quality portal? - MC

Q:
has FireDAC been tested against SQL 2019 yet?
A:
Do you mean SQL Server from Microsoft? I think yes - MC

12:29 AM
Q:
Is the Biometrics component, which we saw in the Landerson MVP video, available in the Trial as well?
A:
Yes, the trial has all of the components - MC

12:29 AM
Q:
Is TWebBrowser still Internet Explorer in the background?
A:
It offers both IE and WebView2 (Edge Chromium) for both FMX and VCL - MC

12:30 AM
Q:
Will the Getit-packages be available soon?
A:
Not sure what you mean… addon packages should be avaialble right away - MC

12:30 AM
Q:
Is installing 11.3 over existing 11.2 possible, without the need to reinstall component packages etc?
A:
Yes. For GetIt packages see the blog post by Jim (I linked it earlier) - MC

12:31 AM
Q:
Is TWebBrowser still Internet Explorer in the background?
A:
You can toggle - see Using TEdgeBrowser Component and Changes to the TWebBrowser Component - RAD Studio

Q:
Are these changes + the editor API expected to obsolete/improve ‘expert’ packs like gexperts/cnpack, or should they be considered something different entirely?
A:
We certainly hope third party plugins will embrace the API, and we also think it’s really powerful and should let them – and you! – do all sorts of cool things

Q:
What is the probability of Parnassus Bookmarks being integrated into Delphi rather than as an add-on??
A:
High - it’s definitely on the todo. Same with Navigator

Q:
does Delphi compile on Azure pipeline? don’t see anything to support DevOps. CI/CD … some article on this would be great
A:
You need to bring your own VM with the compiler on it, I imagine. We are looking for a cloud based offering of the compiler, by a third party - MC.

12:32 AM
Q:
Asking about 64 bit compilers I meant c++ compilers.
A:
Thanks. No, we don’t have C++ compilers for Android 64 or Linux currently

Q:
Is there 64 bit compiler for ARM → Android ? Is there 64 bit compiler for Linux (intel, ARM)?
A:
Delphi 64-bit ARM for Android yes, Delphi for Linux only Intel (in Enterprise only) - MC

Q:
Can Markdown files be edited in the IDE?
A:
Yes, as text, and previewed as rich text / rendered

Q:
Follow up: "Is the IDE finally a 64-bit Application? A: No, it is not. It is a direction we want to go - MC " Is there a timeframe? Is it a priority for embarcadero?
A:
It is a priority, no time frame. We encourage you to reach out to us PM to discuss your specific needs - MC

12:33 AM
Q:
Will we see a version of Marco Cantù’s Book over this PDF version?
A:
The book for Delphi 11 still applies - MC

Q:
A few minutes ago you said that .md files can be edited and views in the IDE and that the IDE is based completely on the VCL. Does this mean that there is also an component in the VCL that can render .md files so that you can include this into your own programs?
A:
We licensed DelphiHTMLComponents (we also use it for HelpInsight) which has a VCL Markdown viewer (it also has a HTML viewer)

Q:
Is it possible to import Delphi7 CLX based projects in an easy way?
A:
Not really, that is farily old technology - MC

Q:
Are the Parnassus plugins updated to use the new ToolsAPI API ?
A:
Not at this point, it is planned - MC

12:34 AM
Q:
Are the Parnassus plugins updated to use the new ToolsAPI API ?
A:
The plan - no timeline - is to integrate them. The new ToolsAPI is based on the internal Parnassus API the plugins used

Q:
Re: Array in 64bit – Out of memory. I had the same issue but solved it by calling SetLength once and never again. Calling repeated SetLength statements is what causes the out of memory error on any machine.
A:
Good workaround, thanks for sharing - MC

Q:
changes or improvements in Datasnap?
A:
Some fixed only - MC

Q:
Does Firedac support the new/actual mongodb default communication protocol (it did not in 11.2)?
A:
I think this was improved, but I’d ahve to double check - MC

12:35 AM
Q:
I did mean Microsoft SQL 2019. When I asked a few months ago I was told ‘it should work + we’ve had no reports of issues’ … but it’s never been tested
A:
I think it has now been tested - MC

Q:
I am still hoping for an IDE based on FireMonkey, as this would allow me to install it on Linux. Has any more thought gone into that?
A:
Great idea, but quite some effort so not likely to happen shortly - MC

Q:
Does the Open Tools api give any exposure to the code AST or similar ?
A:
Not yet, but it’s something we want to do at some point. We plan to update the Structure view to use LSP and then hopefully we can expose more info

12:36 AM
Q:
Has the C++ clang compiler been updated since 10.3?
A:
The compiler had bug fixes. We are doing extensive work for the C++ compiler for the next major release - MC

12:36 AM
Q:
Is the firedac code fixed to allow multiple ODBC Drivers to be loaded at the same time?
A:
That’s something I’m honestly not sure about, I’d ahve to ask. We can follow up over email - MC

12:37 AM
Q:
From the Release Notes: Addressed a conflict in the TRichEdit control between SpellChecking and custom Popup menus. Please explain or show how to use a TRichEdit with both SpellChecking and custom popup menu.
A:
Sorry I’d have to check specifically, feel free to follow up voer email - MC

12:37 AM
Q:
Are the Raize and Parnassus Getit packages available now (on release) for 11.3? Thanks!
A:
They should be available - MC

12:38 AM
Q:
does the ToolsAPI support cursor control, for say, implementing CamelCase cursor navigation
A:
Not specifically but we’re thinking of adding keyboard messages to the editor API (it’s mostly drawing currently) and you could implement it then. It would be possible today with a few hacks, not that we advise that :slight_smile:

12:39 AM
Q:
Is there a reason why SpellChecking ist supported for TRichEdit but not TDBRichEdit? RSP-40018
A:
We missed this when the feature was implemented. It is expected for the next release - MC

12:39 AM
Q:
11.3: Is it only me, or are the help files not updated? The “what’s new” section still reads “The RAD Studio 11.1 Alexandria release contains the following new and improved features”?!
A:
I’d have to double check, but installed help doesn’t generally relflect the latest docwiki, but shoudl be much newer than in 11.2 - MC

12:40 AM
Q:
Are the Raize and Parnassus Getit packages available now (on release) for 11.3? Thanks!
A:
I just checked and they are available. /Jim

12:41 AM
Q:
cltr+a + cltr+c for copy Q&A
A:
Thanks - MC

Q:
Workaround for TDBRichEdit: https://torry.net/articles/article042_Spellchecking.php
A:
Thanks - MC

Q:
I’ve written IDE enhancement using IOTAServices. Anything changes on IOTAServices? Is it still backward-compatible?
A:
Should still be compatible! We add, rather than change, other than in very rare circumstances. 11.3 adds the editor API

Q:
My idea is to use it for a tool that I started to develop and it aims to improve the quality of code written by programmers. What is the link to insert the idea? I want to automate my tool and offer it on GETIT.
A:
I think the link is in the getitnow.embarcadero.com site, but feel free to email me (Marco) and I’ll find it for you - MC

Q:
follow up to .sys, it will help a lot as lot of developers keep telling Delphi cannot be used to create kernel mode drivers … this will help if a blog is written… w.r.t Windows & Driver authoring
A:
I thought the same… - MC

12:42 AM
Q:
Any thoughts to support ARM on windows/VCL?
A:
Love to! No plans we can announce currently

12:44 AM
Q:
Can you add a “Form Layout” under the Layout selector?
A:
Happy to look at this. Can you describe what you want (a design layout?) in a QP please? Feel free to email me the link - david.millington@embarcadero.com

12:45 AM
Q:
Hi, what about an “inplace” upgrade from 10.4 - it’s possible or i have to install new?
A:
11.x is a new version, so they will both live side by side

Q:
Please talk about upgrading from 11.1 or 11.2.
A:
It should be pretty easy. When you uninstall, keep your registry settings and then you will have your options kept. Its a non binary breaking change

Q:
How will 11.3 affect 11.2 user created packages
A:
They should be compatible - MC

12:46 AM
Q:
few blogs on static code analysis guide for Delphi wil be great
A:
working on that.

12:50 AM
Q:
I use Jedi components a lot and wonder if they are compatible with 11.3.
A:
You can download them from GetIt - Tools > Getit Package Manager

12:52 AM
Q:
I bought a new MacMini 2023 and want to install delphi. What do you prefer VMware Fusion or Parallels?
A:
I’ve installed under Parallels successfully /Jim

12:53 AM
Q:
I was getting access violations when I tried to move from 11.1 to 11.2. I think it may be due to the ASLR/Pointers(?) Any general tips on how to sort those issues out?
A:
You can turn ASLR off in your app in the project settings, but we recommend finding the source because they indicate bugs

12:55 AM
Q:
What exactly has been fixed with Hi-DPI? I am still having to use DPI unaware mode on a 4K monitor, otherwise 96 dpi forms are too small to edit
A:
Yes, on a (say) 200% screen, a 100% form is small. We’re looking at other ways to host the designer

12:55 AM
Q:
Not the spell library, I meant the dictionary. Where is that located for TRichEdit?
A:
This is the Windows platform control, we don’t do anything specific

12:56 AM
Q:
Can I through Tool API add other language support (syntax highlighting and etc), such as python?
A:
Yes, you can write a syntax highlighter using the ToolsAPI

Q:
In D11.2, lookup doesn’t work well for big/huge projects. It works better if you ‘Kill LSP’ periodically via ‘/IM DelphiLSP.exe /F’. Is this improved in D11.3? best regards from Austria
A:
Should be much improved!

Q:
If I place a TImage component on top of a TWebBroser or TEdge component, why is the image not visible?
A:
You cannot palce a graphic control on top of a windowsed platform control. You need to have put the image in a widget with a handle

12:57 AM
Q:
Where is the Spell Library located with the TRichEdit?
A:
We are using the windows library and implementation

12:58 AM
Q:
When and where can we watch a replay please?
A:
It will be on Embarcadero Technologies - YouTube soon, along with other great videos and webinar replays

1:01 AM
Q:
Any plans to implement GrapghQL in RadServer?
A:
Not at this time - MC

1:03 AM
Q:
It’s time for a new community version. Will 11.3 be this?
A:
A new CE is under consideration - MC

1:04 AM
Q:
Can the IDE be run on a Windows 11 ARM VM (Parallels) on a Mac with new Apple silicon? I thought I read in Microsoft’s document that it won’t support 32-bit apps on that configuration.
A:
We have members of the team running M1 devices, with RAD Studio working on Parallels hosting Windows ARM - And its really fast!!.

1:04 AM
Q:
Thanks for doing the webinar. I’ve seen a lot of these topics recently. Was hoping for more details, I guess I’ll have to visit Quality.Embarcader.com to read all the fixes. :wink:
A:
11 Alexandria - Release 3 - RAD Studio

1:06 AM
Q:
someone asked me if anything about Bluetooth LE has been changed in this release. I didn’t see more than in 11.2
A:
Don’t believe so.

1:07 AM
Q:
Support for ARM windows , any plans? Not for IDE but target OS
A:
discussed and considered. Let Marco know your specific usecase.

1:08 AM
Q:
When Marcu says that multiple version of 11 can’t exists on the same machines, does that mean we should select yes to remove all registry entries when we install the new upgrade?
A:
Keeping registry settings will reduce setup. Another tip is to use a VM

Q:
There was four different python components available in GetIt. Can you do a new webinar and show/explain the how to use them all?
A:
We’ve doen a few. They are on YouTube channel.

Q:
How does licensing work on an offline computer?
A:
You can download a SLIP file.

1:09 AM
Q:
Isn’t Quickreport halted on Rio? I believe their main developer passed.
A:
This is being managed by qbssoftware.com. They have been updating it and can be contacted to get it

1:10 AM
Q:
This may have already been answered but if it was, I missed it. Have they improved the install process for updates so that it will not lose what you had installed using GetIt?
A:
See the blog post by Jim https://blogs.embarcadero.com/streamlining-rad-studio-upgrades-with-getit/

1:10 AM
Q:
actually Microsoft is officially support Windows on ARM
A:
We know that, thanks, but it doesn’t run Intel apps - MC

Hello from Algeria
Hello from Austria - audio and video is fine.
G’Day from Down-Under
Greetings from the Czech republic and from Torry’s Delphi pages!
Hello from Romania
Good evening from Germany :wink:
Hello from Germany, Ludwigsburg
Hi from the UK!.
Hello from Hungary!
hellow. I come from Indonesia…
Hello from Italy
Hello from South Carolina, USA
Hello from Ukraine
Hello from Germany :slight_smile:
Hello from Italy :wink:
best regards from Austria

From Jim McKeeth …

The GetIt issue (timing out) seems to be sorted now. No problems installing stuff this morning.

:laughing: nothings changed then since 10.3. Just wondering if LSP actually works yet.

LSP is much improved, but still some way to go to be deemed fully functional. It’s still too easy to break it.

Did anyone manage to get the Getit migration tool to work. I tried and failed - said I needed an Updated Subscription in the dos command box.

I saw an email from Code Partners about 11.4 but I figure this is a typo.

I saw the 11.4 email subject and thought the same.

For the GetIt packages I uninstalled 11.2 and reinstalled with 11.3 fresh.