Symposium 2022 - Malcolm Groves on Debugging

One of our favourite presenter, Malcolm Groves, will be starting our Symposium presentations with a fresh look at the debugger.

As Malcolm says, “Keep Calm and Use The Debugger”.

He explains further …

“Seriously!?!! This bozo thinks he’s going to teach me to use the Debugger? I’ve been using these tools since the beta of Turbo Pascal on CP/M, I think I know what I’m doing!”

Well, maybe you do. But in my experience, many people use the same handful of debugging features they’ve used since they first started: Breakpoints, Step Into/Over, maybe a Watch or two. Add in enough swearing and Stack Overflow searches, and most problems throw in the towel, right?

However, it’s very possible that the necessary tool to help you solve the problem faster, and with less swearing, is right there in the IDE already. The Delphi and C++Builder Debuggers have a wide range of features, and in many cases people either aren’t aware of them, or don’t know quite when to use them.

So that’s what we’re going to focus on in this session. We’re going to dive deep into Debugger features and options that maybe you haven’t used, and see how to practically use them to identify and solve problems in your code.

So if you’ve ever wondered what to use a Data Breakpoint for, or whether the CPU view is of any use to you if you don’t know Assembler, or what use that weird address is in the Access Violation dialog, then this is the session for you.

No 3rd party products needed, only things shipped in the box. Also, I’m going to assume you already know how to use a basic Breakpoint, Step Into/Step Over, a basic Watch and that you already know how to swear. So I won’t be teaching those things in the session.

Don’t miss Malcolm’s entertaining but thoughtful presentation at the ADUG Symposium 2022 on Friday, 17th June.

For more details check out the Symposium web page

1 Like